Hamburg is a large port city in northern Germany. It’s the country’s second-largest city and a very popular vacation destination! Germany is known for its amazing hostel scene, offering some of the most modern and clean hostels found anywhere in the world!
Hostels allow tourists to discover the city with top-notch comfort, safety, and convenience! They offer travelers a homely and budget-friendly accommodation option in all of the best areas of the city!
By staying in a hostel, you’ll be able to experience Hamburg like the locals do, and have the opportunity to meet lots of new people along the way!
Here is our list of the 17 best cheap hostels in Hamburg!
Quick Answer: Best Cheap Hostels in Hamburg
Best Overall Cheap Hostel in Hamburg – Backpackers St. Pauli
Best Cheap Hamburg Hostel Near the Airport – Airport Hostel
Best Cheap Hostel in Reeperbahn – A&O Hamburg Reeperbahn
Best Cheap Hostel in Hamburg for Groups – Arcade-Hostel
Best overall cheap hostel in Hamburg
- Breakfast buffet available each morning (for a fee) with excellent coffee
- Located close to popular venues, clubs, and bars!
- Lockers and personal reading lights in each guests room (bring your own lock)
Backpackers St. Pauli is one of the best cheap hostels in Hamburg, Germany! Guests will enjoy a nice range of amenities including self-catering facilities, an outdoor terrace, a common room, free Wi-Fi, and more!
There is a cozy cafe that turns into a social area at night where guests can mingle and enjoy a local craft beer from Hamburg!
#2 – Airport Hostel
Best cheap Hamburg hostel near the airport
- Parking, bedsheets, and WiFi are all free
- Games room with board games, ping pong table, and foosball
- Modern and clean hostel in Hamburg
This family-run hostel is located less than 1-mile from Hamburg Airport. It offers free WiFi and a 24-hour front desk. At Airport Hostel you will find a shared lounge as well as luggage storage facilities!
Each room or dorm has a private bathroom with a shower and hairdryer. Breakfast is available every morning for a small fee.
Best cheap hostel in Reeperbahn
- Located close to the subway station
- Next to the trendy districts of Schanzenviertel, Altona, and Hafencity
- This is the perfect hostel for night owls and partygoers!
This lively hostel is near the Reeperbahn, a busy street and popular entertainment district in Hamburg. The hostel is right in the hustle and bustle of the city and the center of Hamburg’s nightlife scene!
There is a common room, 24-hour reception, a bar, pool table, and more!
#4 – Pauli Hostel
- Self-catering and tea/coffee making facilities
- A range of dormitory accommodation, with 4 – 12 beds per room
- Spacious and clean rooms with tables and chairs
This hostel is located next to the popular areas of St. Pauli and Altona. The immediate area around the hostel is more on the quiet side, but the busy area of the city can be reached in just a short walk!
Each room has plenty of sockets to charge your phones and laptops!
#5 – The Hostel
- Drinks and coffee are also available 24/7
- No curfew, so guests can come and go as they wish
- Close to the bus and S-Bahn station
If you’re more keen on a quiet hostel experience and trying to decide where to stay in Hamburg, this hostel is perfect for you! It’s located 5-miles from the city center, but close to public transportation.
There are self-catering facilities, laundry facilities, a common room, outdoor terrace, and more!
#6 – Arena Hostel Hamburg
- All dorms, the common area, the kitchen, and the bathrooms are cleaned daily
- 15-minutes from Hamburg’s city center using public transportation
- Self-catering facilities, laundry facilities, and luggage storage
The Arena Hostel Hamburg is a brand new facility located directly next to the S-Bahn-Station. It offers low-cost accommodation and a pleasant and well-kept atmosphere.
Its location outside of the city center means you can have a quiet night’s sleep after experiencing the hustle and bustle in the city!
Will you also visit Munich? Check out where we like to stay in Munich, Germany!
The best place to stay in Hamburg, Germany for solo travelers
- There are two bars located below the hostel
- Free coffee and tea available all-day
- Friendly staff and friendly vibes!
This is one of the best hostels in Hamburg for solo travelers! The atmosphere is very relaxed and the max occupancy of 50 guests provides for a more intimate hostel experience.
There is a well-equipped kitchen and communal bathrooms located in the corridor. There is also a communal room where you can eat, drink, and play games with your fellow hostellers!
Planning to visit Berlin? You’ll want to know about the best day trips in the area!
#8 – K&M Hostel
- Free private parking is available on-site
- Self-catering and tea/coffee making facilities
- Free WiFi available in all areas
The KM Hostel is located in the Wandsbek district of Hamburg and is just 100-meters from the underground train station. The rooms are modern, simple, and spacious, with each room containing a table and chairs!
In the close vicinity of the hostel, you’ll find supermarkets and bakeries.
Heading to Berlin Next? Check out our guide to party hostels in Berlin, Germany!
- Free breakfast available every day
- This is one of the largest Hamburg hostels, with a capacity for 357 guests!
- Bar and large social area with lots of seating available
This Hamburg hostel is situated in the city center and directly opposite the city’s famous harbor. It’s also very close to the Reeperbahn district. The facilities include TV, laundry amenities, a self-catering kitchen, and meal services.
The highlight of the hostel is the terrace where guests can enjoy a fabulous view of the harbor!
Hamburg is incredible! There are tons of things to do there!
- Delicious and mostly organic breakfast buffet offered for a fee
- Wheelchair friendly rooms on the first floor
- Laundry services and luggage storage is available
This Hamburg hostel is modern, spacious, and stylishly designed. It is close to the Altona train station and surrounded by restaurants, bars, and shops.
It offers a clean and quiet environment with warm and welcoming staff. Free Wi-Fi runs throughout the property and there are multiple room options available!
Will you be in Hamburg a while? Here’s your guide to the top day trips from Hamburg for exploring the area!
#11 – A&O Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
- Breakfast buffet available each day for a small fee
- Free Wi-Fi in public areas and in all rooms
- 24-hour reception and 24-hour snacks at the lobby-bar
The a&o hostel Hamburg is located just 500-meters from the Central Station! With its central location, it’s the perfect starting point for excursions in the city!
It’s a social hostel where guests can enjoy a cool beer or a cocktail from the bar and play a game of pool, darts, or video games!
Editor’s Recommendation! These are the staff pick for the top hostels in Hamburg (for all budgets!)
#12 – Mac City Hostel
- Located directly in front of the metro and railway station
- In the St Georg neighborhood of Hamburg
- Guest kitchen and laundry amenities available
The Mac City Hostel offers clean and comfortable accommodation options. In the common room of the hostel, guests can enjoy unlimited free coffee, tea, and water!
There are free lockers available and free Wi-Fi runs throughout the hostel. In close proximity to the hostel, there are supermarkets, bakeries, ATMs, and more!
- Chic and stylish hostel; newly renovated and designed in 2016
- Modern, ultra-clean facilities and very comfortable beds
- Free high-speed Wi-Fi available throughout the property
This hostel is located in the Sternschanze neighborhood of Hamburg, a hip area full of cozy restaurants, trendy cocktail bars, and buzzing music venues!
There is no communal space, but all rooms offer plenty of space (including storage space). Also, the staff is exceptionally friendly and attentive to guests’ needs!
#14 – A&O Hamburg City
- Breakfast buffet available each day for a fee
- 24-hour reception and 24-hours snacks at the lobby-bar
- Free Wi-Fi in public areas and in all rooms
The a&o Hamburg City offers modernly furnished dorms with very comfortable beds! There is a social area with billiards, a driving simulator, and table soccer as well as a kids’ play area!
The hostel is centrally located with very good connections to all public transportation. The special highlight of the hostel has got to be its rooftop terrace with unparalleled city views!
#15 – Generator Hamburg
- Located next to Hamburg’s central train station
- Free daily English walking tours of Hamburg
- Bar, Cafe with meals, and vending machines
Generator Hamburg is in a great central location of the city! All dorm beds feature power socket, USB ports, and LED lights. Fast and free Wi-Fi runs throughout the property as well.
There is a common room, an outdoor terrace, security lockers, and laundry facilities. Bicycle hire is also available from the hostel!
- Located between the trendy districts of Ottensen and Sternschanze
- Breakfast buffet available each morning for a fee
- Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the whole hostel
This Hamburg hostel is located just a 5-minutes walk from the Altona Station in the city center. The hostel is very modern, clean and spacious and features a self-catering kitchen, washing machines, luggage storage, and bicycle hire!
There is a leisure and entertainment room offering billiards and foosball. The hostel is also child-friendly and wheelchair accessible!
#17 – Arcade-Hostel
The best cheap hostel in Hamburg for groups!
- Large breakfast terrace providing a breakfast buffet every morning for a fee
- 34 practical and stylishly furnished rooms
- Free parking, free Wi-Fi, and towels included!
The Arcade-Hostel in Hamburg provides guests with an upscale hostel experience! It offers hostel-like prices, facilities, and amenities, but instead of dorms, only rooms are available.
Choose from single, double or triple large and spacious bedrooms. The hostel is in a quiet area of Hamburg but located close to public transportation.
Hamburg hostels are a great option for accommodation! They provide many perks not normally found at hotels, and the best combination of convenience, comfort, and hospitality!
If you’ve never stayed at a hostel before, Hamburg is a great place to check out the backpacker scene and find out just how amazing the hostel culture truly is!
We hope you enjoyed our picks of the best cheap hostels in Hamburg. As you can tell from the list above, there are some really fun and exciting options available! We are positive that any one of these hostels will make your trip to this exciting German city completely unforgettable!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)