Vienna is Austria’s sophisticated and diverse capital. This enchanting city is filled with beautiful buildings, fascinating museums, and majestic architecture!
Vienna, Austria hostels allow travelers to save money and soak in the local Viennese culture, as these budget forms of accommodation provide tourists with a more personalized and social travel experience. Staying at any one of these Vienna hostels will help you to discover one of Europe’s most beautiful cities! There are quite a few options to choose from, so we’ve come up with a helpful and comprehensive list!
Here is our pick of the 17 best cheap hostels in Vienna!
Quick Answer: Best Cheap Hostels in Vienna
Best Overall Cheap Hostel in Vienna – Wombats City Hostel Vienna – The Lounge
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna for Female Travelers – A&T Holiday Hostel Wien
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna’s Leopoldstadt District – MEININGER Vienna Downtown Franz
The Best Social Hostel in Vienna – Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna’s Museums Quarter District – Best Location Hostel
Best Overall Cheap Hostel in Vienna
- Centrally located on Vienna’s main shopping street and close to public transport
- Popular on-site bar that hosts regular parties
- Cozy common areas, social atmosphere and friendly staff
This hostel in Vienna is the best overall cheap hostel in the city! Guests will have access to a fully equipped kitchen that’s always stocked with free pasta, coffee, tea and spices. There is also an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast available every morning for a fee. There are lockers in every room and easy keycard access throughout the building.
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna for Female Travelers
- Great location and next to public transport links
- Western-style bar open every evening
- There’s an entire floor reserved just for women!
This hostel is in a great location that will provide you with fast access to the city’s historical sites. All rooms are equipped with a bathroom as well as individual reading lamps and lockers. The reception is open 24/7 to provide guests with help and information around the clock. There are also coin-operated washing machines for you to do your laundry!
Austria is amazing! And the best hostels in Vienna will blow you away!
#3 – Hostel Hütteldorf
- The 1st hostel in Austria with more than 60 years of tradition!
- Located on the edge of a forest, surrounded by walking paths and bike trails
- All rooms include lockable cabinets, bring your own lock or purchase one in reception
Hostel Hutteldorf is one of the best youth hostels in Vienna! Their friendly, multilingual staff is available 24 hours a day to help you plan your Vienna vacation and provide you with free city maps! Enjoy satellite TV, a pool table and tabletop soccer! There are laundry facilities and a small guest kitchen with a microwave, kettle and refrigerator.
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna’s Leopoldstadt District
- Located in Leopoldstadt, one of Vienna’s most popular areas
- Surrounded by shops, restaurants and cafes
- One of the few hostels in Vienna that is pet-friendly!
This Vienna Hostel is very accommodating. There is an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet available every morning for a small fee, bike rentals are available at reception and you can also book tickets for your city tours! Guests will enjoy the use of a games rooms, lobby, fully equipped kitchen, washing machines and internet terminals. Drinks and snacks are available for purchase in reception.
- Located on the popular Favoritenstrasse shopping mile
- Just a stone’s throw from the Vienna city center
- Right next to the Vienna Main Station, connecting you to anywhere in Vienna!
At this Vienna city hostel you’ll feel right at home! Guests can chill out in the lobby, meet fellow travelers at the bar, get social in the games room, or simply relax in their room and make use of the free Wi-Fi. The decor of the hostel is modern, but infused with authentic Viennese charm!
Don’t stay in the city too long! Take one of these great day trips from Vienna to see more of the area!
#6 – Palace Hostel
- Breakfast available every day (at extra cost)
- Cable TV, table tennis, tabletop football and minigolf court
- This hostel is well connected to the public transport network
If you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, this is one of the best hostels in Vienna for you! Located on the outskirts of the city, enjoy the gorgeous scenery of Vienna, less tainted by busy streets and tall buildings. There are mountain bike and walking trails right at the doorstep and guests have access to free use of boccia balls, frisbees, soccer balls, and more!
Need to see more of Austria? These day trips from Salzburg will show you the coolest areas around.
#7 – A&O Wien Stadthalle
- All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet available every morning for a small fee
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the building
- Modern furnishings and bright decor
This modern hostel offers spacious and spotless rooms that contain ensuite bathrooms. Reception is available 24/7 and the friendly multilingual staff can provide you with tickets for your Vienna activities and offer useful information about the city! Guests can socialize in the common area and play a game of pool or tabletop football, or have a drink at the bar!
Never been to Austria? See our favorite places to visit for when you go!
- All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet available every day for a small fee
- Private, dorm and family rooms available
- Located on a quiet street close to the train station
This A&O Wien hostel offers spacious and modern rooms. There is a large social area with a pool table and table football. Reception is available 24/7 and free Wi-Fi runs throughout the building. Guests can enjoy the SkyBar on the rooftop of the building where they’ll have stunning views of beautiful Vienna!
- Centrally located and close to most of Vienna’s top attractions!
- All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet available every day for a small fee
- Maximum security provided with smart-card access throughout the building
This Vienna, Austria hostel is centrally located and close to public transportation. Guests will enjoy free Wi-Fi, free bed sheets, free use of travel guidebooks, free luggage storage, free lockers, and a free welcome drink! There are also self catering facilities and tea and coffee making facilities available.
Will you also visit Salzburg? Check out where we like to stay in Salzburg!
- Free breakfast available every morning
- Male or Female dorms available
- Free luggage storage, free bicycle storage and free Wi-Fi
At this youth hostel, Vienna’s top attraction will be right at your doorstep. Hostel Wien is conveniently located just a short walk from Vienna’s city center. Guests will find it easy to be social in the common room and game room. Enjoy a game of pool or tabletop football and hang out with your fellow hostellers!
#11 – Do Step Inn
- Fully equipped self catering kitchen available 24 hours a day
- Free lockers in the dorms, and free luggage storage
- No curfew and no lock-out, so you can come and go as you please!
This hostel is located right next to Vienna’s main shopping street. It features modern and simple furnishings. Guests can enjoy the common room, computer lounge, and outdoor terrace. There are rooms in the main building and there is also a second building around the corner. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the main building only!
Not finding the right hostel? Vienna has a selection of party hostels too!
The Best Social Hostel in Vienna
- Well connected to the city center, all major attractions are just a short tram ride away
- Well-equipped self-service kitchen and BBQ facilities
- In-house bike rentals available at reception
Making friends and having a good time is what this hostel is all about! There are multiple areas around the hostel where guests can socialize. There is a beautiful garden and music area, complete with guitar, piano and drums! There is also an on-site bar serving the hostels very own micro-brewed hostel beer!
#13 – Westbahnhof Hostel One
- Located next to Vienna’s popular shopping street, Mariahilfer Strasse
- Right around the corner from the Westbahnhof train station
- Buffet breakfast available every morning for a fee
This hostel is modern and cosy. Guests will enjoy free and fast Wi-Fi throughout the building, free luggage storage and free city maps. There are laundry facilities available and in-house bike rentals! You won’t find any bunk-beds at this hostel, only comfortable single beds with linen and towels included.
Need more info? Here’s a rundown of things to do in Vienna to fill your time there!
- Female dorms and mixed dorms available
- All rooms have ensuite bathrooms and kitchen/living room area
- Free Wi-Fi, free city maps and towels and linen included
This sleek and modern hostel has a relaxed and chilled out atmosphere. The hostel is kept spotless and offers modern amenities. There is a lovely courtyard in the center of the hostel offering a quiet and peaceful environment. The Vienna city center can be reached within minutes using Vienna’s public transportation! Another added bonus is that the Schonbrunn Palace and Mariahilfer Strasse are within walking distance.
#15 – Best Location Hostel
Best Cheap Hostel in Vienna’s Museums Quarter District
- Free lockers, luggage storage, city maps, and bed-linen
- No curfew, so guests can come and go as they please!
- Centrally located in one of the best areas in Vienna!
This is one of the best hostels in Vienna, Austria for convenient access to the city’s main attractions! This hostel is housed in the Museum Quarter Area, meaning guests can easily walk to the majority of Vienna’s main sites as well as cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs! Free Wi-Fi runs throughout the building and guests have access to free computer use!
#16 – Mymojovie
- Free breakfast offered every day and free tea and coffee making facilities
- Minimum stay of two continuous nights required
- Laundry service is available upon request for a small fee
This trendy and modern hostel is located just a quick train ride away from Vienna’s city center. Dormitory style rooms offer mixed accommodation and include satellite TV. There is free soap, shampoo and conditioner in the showers, and a cozy kitchen and living room. Guests can also utilize the library book exchange!
- Cozy boutique hostel with a unique style, no two rooms are the same!
- This hostel is run by a friendly and super accommodating couple!
- Located in the beautiful area of the Wilhelminenberg Palace
This is one of the most unique hostels Vienna has to offer! Prime Rooms 2.0 will be your home away from home! Guests will enjoy an outdoor terrace, common room, book exchange, and BBQ facilities. There are also laundry facilities, on-site bike hire and luggage storage available. Guests can also set up all their Vienna activities at their tour/travel desk!
We hope you enjoyed our list of the best hostels Vienna, Austria has to offer! This magical city is one of the most romantic destinations in Europe and filled with beautiful architecture, museums, music, and more!
Vienna is a popular tourist destination, and there are lots of hostel accommodation options to choose from that will help you make the most out of your trip. You’ll receive a more personalized travel experience and get an insider’s perspective on the real Vienna. They’re a great value-for-money and you’ll also have the opportunity to meet fellow tourists!
We are positive that any one of these hostels will make your stay in Vienna completely unforgettable!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)