Atlanta is a big, vibrant city. The capital of Georgia, Atlanta is the place for American history: it was instrumental both in the American Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement – African Americans’ struggle for equality. Combined with great food and a fizzing creative scene, Atlanta is awesome.
Being such a big city, comprising some very, very different areas, figuring out where to stay in Atlanta can be difficult. Staying in one part might mean you lose out on something you hadn’t even considered!
To help you out, we’ve put together with this amazing guide to the seven best neighbourhoods in Atlanta. This means you’ll be able to weigh them all up and choose the one that’s right for you.
Ready? Ok, let’s do this!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Atlanta
- Midtown Atlanta – Best neighbourhood in Atlanta for your first time
- Downtown – Where to stay in Atlanta close to everything
- Eastside – Where to stay in Atlanta for nightlife
- Westside – Best neighbourhood in Atlanta for families
- East Atlanta Village – Where to stay in Atlanta on a budget
- Buckhead – Best neighbourhood in Atlanta for couples
- Grant Park – Best neighbourhood in Atlanta for nature lovers
Where to Stay in Atlanta
Looking for an awesome place to stay in Atlanta? We’ve got our top three accommodation options for you to have a look at just below…
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Atlanta
Although it’s not a hostel, Country Inn & Suites offers up a great all-rounder of a place to stay on a budget for backpackers in Atlanta. Location-wise, this place is set in the heart of downtown so you’ll have plenty to do on the doorstep – saving you precious money on transport around the city.
Best Budget Hotel in Atlanta
A top budget option, this is a really contemporary branch of the popular chain with spotless rooms, modern amenities and amazing staff. The fact that it’s brand new (as of 2019) makes it a fantastic place to stay; the location is super convenient as well. Easily the best budget hotel in Atlanta.
Best Luxury Hotel in Atlanta
Looking for high-end in Atlanta? Look no further than the Hyatt Regency: the best luxury hotel in Atlanta. Close to Georgia Aquarium with its ace location, this top Atlanta hotel actually has a cool revolving restaurant (we love this). It’s got a huge outdoor swimming pool, bars, a gym – so much packed in!
Atlanta 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the seven best neighbourhoods in Atlanta. Each one is slightly different and will suit different people – make sure you choose the one that sounds right for you!
(Best neighborhood in Atlanta for your first time!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Midtown Atlanta – go see a show at the 14th Street Playhouse
- BEST place to visit in Midtown Atlanta – browse Ponce City Market with its fresh produce and food stalls
A brilliantly bustling area of Atlanta, Midtown is often known as “heart of the arts”. Fittingly, this is where you will find a lot of the city’s cultural attractions, from museums like the Museum of Design Atlanta to the Fox Theatre. This is definitely the best neighbourhood in Atlanta for your first time.
With plenty of attractions to explore, things to do, places to see and a whole lot of eateries and bars to discover, Midtown is also well placed, and well connected, for exploring the rest of the city. It’s also where you’ll find Atlantic Station – come here to shop until you quite literally drop.
- Go to the Center for Puppetry Arts for an interesting insight into this creative art – it’s not the sort of thing you’d learn about every day, but you can enlighten yourself in Atlanta
- For more enlightenment, head to the High Museum of Art for historic pieces ranging from paintings by the likes of John Singer Sargeant and Rodin sculptures
- Head out on a tour of the Fox Theatre, with its Moorish-style design, and discover more about its history; catch a Broadway show for the full effect
- Get spicy with a chili dog at The Varsity; opened in 1928, this place is a famous institution for its old school food
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Midtown Atlanta
Backpackers and independent travellers on a budget will be thankful for America’s Best Value Inn. With its value for money, colourful decor, friendly staff, comfy beds, an option for an affordable and very tasty breakfast every day, it’s basic – but it’s the best hotel for backpackers in Midtown Atlanta, for sure.
Best Budget Hotel in Midtown Atlanta
Moxy is the sort of place that design lovers should be looking to stay. Right in the middle of Midtown, this cool hotel in Atlanta features a lot of quirky creativity; it’s also got a very nice pool area and even a games lounge, too. It’s got super chic bedrooms considering the price of this top budget hotel in Midtown Atlanta.
Best Luxury Hotel in Midtown Atlanta
This branch of Marriott is everything you’ll need in a luxury hotel in Midtown Atlanta. The rooms in this towering hotel are classic and well-appointed, with plenty to do onsite, starting with all-American dining at Grill 35. The location is great too: it’s just a 5 minute walk to the High Museum of Art, for example.
(Where to stay in Atlanta close to everything!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Downtown Atlanta – explore the Centennial Olympic Park (part of the 1996 Olympics)
- BEST place to visit in Downtown Atlanta – visit the famous Georgia Aquarium
Downtown is the modern part of the city. Think shiny skyscrapers, business, and office buildings. Whilst it may not have the artistic edge that Midtown has, staying here means you’ll be well placed to explore pretty much all the different areas of the city for a cosmopolitan experience.
The best place to stay in Atlanta close to everything, Downtown is perfect for those looking to see the sights. A lot of Atlanta’s top attractions are within walking distance of the Downtown district, making it easy to get around and get your sightseeing on.
- Explore the under the radar art galleries around the creative area of Castleberry Hill; if you’re into leftfield artists and hipster-fied streets, then you’ll love this little district
- Visit the National Center for Civil and Human Rights and learn more about the history of America’s rights movements at one of their exhibitions
- Stroll along Fairlie-Poplar and discover the creative street art and street performances that happen here on the weekend
- Take a ride on the SkyView Ferris Wheel and see the city from above; go at night for an illuminated skyline
- Have dinner and drinks at White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Downtown Atlanta
As the best hotel for backpackers in Downtown Atlanta, this branch of Comfort Inn provides a great place to stay for those travelling on a shoestring. This low-key hotel boasts simple rooms that are comfy, clean and quiet for a good night’s sleep. The free breakfast of eggs and waffles is immense!
Best Budget Hotel in Downtown Atlanta
This is a stylish, fancy-looking place for a budget hotel in Downtown Atlanta. The American Hotel manages to mix cool design, contemporary artwork and comfort for a top, definitively above average budget-friendly stay in the Georgian capital. Also includes an outdoor pool, restaurant and bar.
Best Luxury Hotel in Downtown
100% high-end – that’s what you’ll get at what is by a long shot the best luxury hotel in Downtown Atlanta. This Ritz-Carlton has it all: design-led furnishings sparkle and shine throughout, whilst there’s a slick lobby bar, a fancy restaurant, and 24-hour room service to make you feel extra lavish.
(Where to stay in Austin for nightlife!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Eastside – soak up all the amazing street art in Cabbagetown
- BEST place to visit in Eastside – Head to Little Five Points and shop for a bargain
Dynamic Eastside is where you’ll find a lot of funky shops, late-night bars, and outer-city artistic enclaves, making this a perfect district for night owls. Full of interesting neighbourhoods, like Cabbagetown, and the cool and creative Little Five Points, day and night this side of town is alive with something going on.
With numerous bars, pubs and live music venues, Eastside is easily the place to stay in Austin for nightlife. The live music venues are particularly rife in this area, making it a great option for music fans. When the sun comes up, it’s time for vintage shopping and community markets in old warehouses.
- Hungry? Then we recommend diving into a delicious world of Asian cuisine at EAV Thai & Sushi
- Head to Seven Stages Theatre in East Atlanta Village – catch a late-night show to fully feel the atmosphere of this place
- Go and see a slice of classic Americana at Grant Park, where you’ll find Starlight Drive-in; pitch up, bring snacks, enjoy
- Get yourself down to Krog Street tunnel – there’s some amazing street art down here and it’s often used for photoshoots
- Don’t miss Krog Street Market, either; it’s set in a fabulous 1920s era warehouse
- Check the schedule and watch some live music at Variety Playhouse in Little Five Points
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Eastside
A modern take on a classic American motel, independent travellers will love staying in this place. It’s not luxurious, but it’s simple, safe and clean. Surprisingly there’s even a small gym, a laundry and free breakfast included – how could this not be the best hotel for backpackers in Atlanta’s Eastside?
Best Budget Hotel in Eastside
Close to the university area, this top budget hotel in Eastside Atlanta is set wonderfully in an old house. Expect interesting period features, like fireplaces and high ceilings, as much as modern amenities. There’s a small outdoor pool and a breakfast room where you can chow down before you hit the sights.
Best Luxury Hotel in Eastside
Very, very chic, Hotel Clermont is located in a repurposed industrial building. The result is like staying in a private, members-only club, with gleaming vintage furnishings throughout and plenty of plush places to unwind and chill out. Needless to say, it’s the best luxury hotel in Eastside, Atlanta. Can’t fault it.
(Best neighborhood in Atlanta for families!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Westside – take your family on the Castleberry Art Stroll (monthly; every 2nd Friday)
- BEST place to visit in Westside – enjoy food and music in the friendly garden at Elliott Street Deli & Pub
Westside is a unique, up-and-coming area. With a ton of shopping opportunities, this formerly mainly residential area is quickly becoming a haunt for those looking for something different in the city. Notably, there are great places to eat: it’s all about the dessert here!
Being the best neighbourhood in Atlanta for families, Westside naturally comes packed with a fair few family-friendly parks and playgrounds to enjoy. For older children, the cool, hipster-y vibe of Westside and its countercultural atmosphere will be sure to have them enthralled.
- Visit Mammal Gallery and see all sorts of interesting art going on here
- Grab an afternoon tea or coffee – and a slice of a cake, of course – at Brash Coffee; it’s set inside two former shipping containers
- Walk the trails around Washington Park, a 20 acre green space, and enjoy a breath of fresh air
- Enjoy a plateful of piled high crepes at Pauley’s Crepe Bar
- Every Sunday from 10am to 2pm, the Westside Farmers Market is the place to be – think food stalls, fresh produce, and friendly people
- Shop till you drop at Crafted Westside – home to crafts, jewellery, fashion and art
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Westside Atlanta
This option renting an apartment with all the amenities you need to keep you in your budget. There’s a fully working kitchen, a washing machine, dining area and plenty of space. There’s a BBQ area and even a pool – great for chilling after exploring. A perfect stay for backpackers in Westside Atlanta.
Best Budget Hotel in Westside Atlanta
With its low-key rooms, bright furnishings and kitchenettes, this top budget hotel in Westside Atlanta is great for those looking to save money on their trip to Atlanta. The location is great, close to various shops and amenities, but there’s also a free shuttle service to Atlanta attractions – and a free breakfast!
Best Luxury Hotel in Westside Atlanta
Rooftop swimming pool, massive gym, even a branch of Starbucks onsite: yes, this is the best luxury hotel in Westside Atlanta. With amazing views of the city, a lush indoors-outdoors vibe to its design, and classic, design-led furnishings, this is one for those who want a touch of high-end on their Atlanta jaunt.
(Where to stay in Atlanta on a budget!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Morrow – explore the Reynolds Nature Preserve
- BEST place to visit in Morrow – go marvel at the incredibly ornate Hindu Temple of Atlanta
Just south of the centre of Atlanta, Morrow is a great place to stay on a budget. If you have your own wheels, especially, this is a perfect place to stay: it’s a suburban neighbourhood with a residential feel. But it’s certainly not sleepy – it’s a vibrant hub for those who want a more local side to Atlanta.
There are plenty of parks to wander around and even a fair amount of restaurants to sample during your stay. Dating back to 1846, when the railway was put in, being in Morrow means being able to get into central Atlanta – and all the sights – with relative ease.
- Learn about the history of the local area at the National Archives at Atlanta
- And learn even more at the Georgia Archives; here is where you’ll find everything you need to know about civil rights, African American history and the revolutionary war
- Go soak up a jazz performance, or catch a classical symphony, at Spivy Hall
- Explore the town on the Morrow Pedestrian Path System
- Head to nearby Atlanta Beach, located at Clayton County International Park, and use the world-class beach volleyball facilities
- Visit Southlake shopping mall; a bright, open space that’s dotted with greenery, it’s the perfect place in the local area for a rainy day
- Tuck into a bowl of tasty noodles, washed down with bubble tea, at VN Pho
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Morrow
Looking for a place to stay in Morrow as a backpacker? Here’s the perfect place: Quality Inn & Suites. A motel-type accommodation, rooms are basic but clean and have a microwave, TV, fridge, and en suite bathrooms. There’s even a small indoor pool and a buffet breakfast on offer. Staff are great and the parking is free – road trip, anyone?
Best Budget Hotel in Morrow
Easily the best budget hotel in Morrow, Atlanta, Comfort Suites Morrow boasts an indoor pool as well a gym, and there’s a free buffet breakfast served up each morning. Rooms are great value for money: they’re sizeable, with en suite bathrooms, big beds, flat screen TVs and even desk areas. Perfect.
Best Luxury Hotel in Morrow
Being in Morrow, Atlanta’s best budget neighbourhood, our pick for the top luxury hotel in Morrow is still pretty budget-friendly. Get yourself a suite with a huge bed and seating area, enjoy swimming in the hotel’s indoor-outdoor pool, chill in the jacuzzi, hit the gym, tuck into tasty dishes at the restaurant. It’s all here!
(Best neighborhood in Atlanta for couples!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Buckhead – enjoy dinner and drinks at one of the numerous rooftop bars
- BEST place to visit in Buckhead – soak up the architecture at Swann House
Atlanta’s high end, high-class neighbourhood, Buckhead is a glamorous part of town. There are plenty of upscale areas within Buckhead, dotted with luxury apartments, historic buildings and glitzy hotels. Fans of luxury shopping will certainly enjoy the (many) chances to pick up designer goods.
For everyone else, there’s window shopping. Buckhead is our top pick for the best nighbourhood in Atlanta for couples, not just because it’s a high-end area, but because Buckhead is packed to the rafters with places to eat and drink for a romantic night out.
- Get acquainted with the history of the city at Atlanta History Center – the museum itself is situated in a historic building
- Or go to the beautiful Governor’s Mansion to learn more about Atlanta’s history
- Don’t forget your credit card at Lennox Square, a bastion of designer goods, or else check out Shops Buckhead Atlanta: home to Gucci, Hermes, and others
- Take some snacks and go see an outdoor performance together at the State Bank Amphitheatre in the Chastain Park
- Go for sunset cocktails at The Regent Cocktail Club, a rooftop bar with stunning views and designer drinks
- And then dine on delicious French cuisine at Bistro Nico
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Buckhead
Quality Inn & Suites Buckhead may have compact rooms, but it’s a great option for independent travellers on a shoestring, we’d say! They come with small kitchenettes (great for keeping costs low), free parking (perfect for road trips), plus there’s an outdoor pool. A great place to stay for backpackers in Atlanta’s Buckhead district.
Best Budget Hotel in Buckhead
Set in this high-end neighbourhood, the Hampton Inn here is a top option for a budget hotel in Buckhead. Prepare for city views from the rooms, which come with seating areas and big, comfy beds. There’s a rooftop pool and even a hotel restaurant, where you’ll find the free breakfast every morning!
Best Luxury Hotel in Buckhead
A polished, chic hotel with a lot of thought-out design and high-end finishes, Wingate has to be the best luxury hotel in Buckhead. Rooms here are well-appointed and feel suitably luxurious. Elsewhere there’s a very stylish bar and restaurant area to unwind in, plus an outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Very nice.
(Best neighborhood in Atlanta for nature lovers!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Piedmont Park – have a picnic in nature with views of the city skyline
- BEST place to visit in Piedmont Park – stroll around the Japanese Gardens
Right near to Midtown, Piedmont Park is a beautiful part of Atlanta. This huge green space is the best neighbourhood in Atlanta for nature lovers and is brimming with sights to see and various trails to explore. Spread across 125 acres, the park has something for any nature lovers.
From wetlands to woodlands, basketball courts to fishing, it seems that anything outdoorsy is a possibility in the lush and sprawling Piedmont Park. Whilst it’s known its nature, this district is also where you’ll find Atlanta’s LGBTQ community for a touch of vibrancy and openness.
- Get your camera ready for Atlanta Botanical Garden – it’s home to all manner of beautiful flora and fauna
- If catching fish is what you’re into, head to Lake Clara Meer for some choice fishing
- Swim a few lengths at the Piedmont Park swimming pool; don’t forget your swimming gear!
- Get involved in a festival or catch some live performances around the Park Bar area
- Browse, buy and eat at the Piedmont Park Farmers Market
- Learn the history of the area at the heritage Lady’s Waiting Room, overlooking the huge lake
- Go see the colourful Rainbow Crosswalks of 10th and Piedmont; this is a celebration of Atlanta’s LGBTQ community and home to plenty of gay-friendly bars and restaurants
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Piedmont Park
Less of a hotel for backpackers in Atlanta’s Piedmont Park area, more of a homestay, this is definitely a great choice for those on a shoestring. There’s a big kitchen, seating area, laundry facilities – and all close to the nature of Piedmont Park. You’ll even find a shady garden to relax in here, too.
Best Budget Hotel in Piedmont Park
A stone’s throw from the nature of Piedmont Park, staying at this top budget option in Atlanta means being able to choose an apartment or studio that’s right for you. They’re all simple and stylish, with hardwood floors, fully equipped kitchens and fresh decor. We love the shared garden and BBQ area.
Best Luxury Hotel in Piedmont Park
One of the coolest hotels in Atlanta, Stonehurst Park is set in a gorgeous, well looked after historic building dating back to 1896. It’s easily the best luxury hotel in Piedmont Park: the decor is sharp and design-led, the rooms are sumptuously decorated, and they even keep their own bees on the grounds!
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Atlanta?
How could you say no to Atlanta? Bursting at the seams with as much modern-day creativity as it has history, the bustling Georgian capital positively pops – from its skyscrapers all the way down to its low-rise hipster hubs. There really is something for everyone in this cool, Southern city.
The best neighbourhood for us has to be Midtown. It’s our top pick for the best nighbourhood for a first time trip to Atlanta, but every time: this one wins. It’s got a little bit of everything from everywhere!
Midtown might not work for you – and that’s fine. All of Atlanta’s best neighbourhoods have different strengths, so you should go for the one that gets you most hyped for your upcoming trip!
Already been to Atlanta and know some awesome spots? Tell us about them in the comments below!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)