The majestic Niagara Falls have long been one of the natural wonders of North America, making them one of the biggest tourist attractions in both the United States and Canada. The town of Niagara Falls itself has since turned into a major tourist area and has plenty of great facilities.
Spread between two countries, and often bustling with tourists, figuring out where to stay in Niagara Falls can be tricky – especially if you are looking for a more peaceful setting.
That is why we have created this guide! We’ve figured out the seven best neighborhoods in the region surrounding Niagara Falls, and categorised them by what they are best for in order to help you plan your trip to this beautiful landmark.
So let’s just get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Niagara Falls
- Downtown – Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for your first time
- Clifton Hill – Where to stay in Niagara Falls close to everything
- Fallsview – Where to stay in Niagara Falls for nightlife
- Lundy’s Lane – Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for families
- Chippawa – Where to stay in Niagara Falls on a budget
- Niagara-on-the-Lake – Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for couples
- Downtown – Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls on the American side
Where to Stay in Niagara Falls
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Niagara Falls.
Best Hostel in Niagara Falls
As the only hostel in the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, it’s no wonder that Hostelling International takes our top spot for backpacker accommodation! They run regular social events – including barbecues in the summer and in-house drinks nights year-round. They also have bicycle rental facilities.
Best Budget Hotel in Niagara Falls
Whilst this three star inn might seem pretty basic, it is very well priced given the area it is in – allowing you to stay in the heart of the tourist strip for less! They also offer a 24 hour tour desk that can offer you discounts on excursions, and an American breakfast is provided every morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in Niagara Falls
This five star bed and breakfast might be sandwiched between two of the busiest areas in town, but it’s large garden space give it a more secluded space – perfect if you just need to get away from the business of the main attractions! They also provide a gourmet breakfast every morning.
Niagara Falls 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the seven best neighbourhoods in Niagara Falls. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
(Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for your first time!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Downtown – try out some awesome virtual reality games at T Reality on Queen Street
- BEST place to visit in Downtown – visit the Seneca Queen Theatre – a historic (and iconic) cinema in the heart of the city
Unlike other cities in North America, the Downtown area of Niagara Falls doesn’t have many tourists. It is still well connected to the main tourist strip, however, meaning you can easily access all the main attractions! For first time travellers, this gives you a peaceful base where you can avoid the tourist hordes.
Whilst there aren’t many attractions related to the falls themselves in Downtown, there are still plenty of fantastic attractions that give you an insight into the local culture and history! There are also some great tour guide companies in the area offering trips around the region.
- Visit SeeSight Tours and head off on one of their expeditions throughout Ontario and Northern New York state
- Try out some axe throwing at the Backyard Axe Throwing League right on Queen Street – they also have competitive events
- Moodie’s Bakery is a local institution offering some of the best breads and pastries in the city – as well as surprisingly delicious coffee
- Start your night at Willie John’s Big Easy – a bit of a dive bar, they have cheap prices and a buzzing atmosphere
Best Hostel Downtown
This Hostelling International hostel is the perfect choice for backpackers looking to stay in Niagara Falls! Not only is it one of the cheapest options in the city, but they also come with a great atmosphere for socialising. Free breakfast is included, as well as regular social events such as barbecues and pub crawls.
Editor’s Tip: make friends by staying at a cool hostel in Toronto!
Best Budget Hotel in Downtown
Downtown Niagara is a great budget area if you still want to be within walking distance of the main tourist strips, and the River Rapids Inn is the perfect example of this! Despite the cheap prices, they offer some fantastic facilities that result in a comfortable stay for all guests. A continental breakfast is included.
Best Luxury Hotel in Downtown
This five star bed and breakfast goes above and beyond to ensure you feel welcome in Niagara Falls! They provide a Full English breakfast every morning – a hearty meal that will keep you full until dinner time. The entire accommodation is decorated with antique furniture, including the lavish parlour.
Will you also visit Kelowna? Check out where we like to stay in Kelowna!
(Where to stay in Niagara Falls close to everything!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Clifton Hill – try your luck at the Casino Niagara, the largest this side of the border
- BEST place to visit in Clifton Hill – head to the Fudge Factory where you can try your hand at making the sweet treat
Clifton Hill is the main tourist strip in the town of Niagara Falls! This is where you will find the bright lights, supersized entertainment venues and endless nightlife that Niagara Falls has become notorious for over the years. Whether you want to gamble, drink or dance there’s somewhere for you in Clifton Hill.
It is also the most central neighborhood – as far as tourism is concerned! It is the closest neighborhood to the Rainbow Bridge that connects the town with the American side and contains the main bus and train terminals that can take you onwards to other areas of Canada and the town itself.
- Hop on the Skywheel and soar 175 feet into the sky for unbeatable views across the Niagara River and the Falls
- The Canadian side has their own version of Maid of the Mist that takes you up to the main falls – close enough to feel the mist against your face
- For a fine dining experience, head to AG Cuisine and sample their extensive menu inspired by European culinary traditions
- For something a bit cheaper, Bravo offers a fantastic selection of Italian food as well as some great beers
- Greg Frewin Theatre is the main entertainment venue in the area, featuring the infamous Las Vegas Magical Review
Best Hotel for Backpackers Clifton Hill
Niagara Falls is a notoriously expensive area – which can be a nightmare for backpackers. This one star motel offers a surprisingly stylish alternative to hostels without breaking the bank! The themed rooms are decorated with Cadillac murals, adding a quirky edge. They are also very spacious.
Best Budget Hotel in Clifton Hill
Travelodge are known worldwide for their budget-friendly comfort, and their Clifton Hill hotel is a very popular choice for revellers heading to Niagara Falls that don’t want to blow their budget! Free high speed WiFi can be accessed in the rooms and common areas, and there is complimentary private parking on-site.
Best Luxury Hotel in Clifton Hill
This five star B&B is in a secluded location – ensuring you some peace and quiet whilst still staying close to the main neighborhood in the town! Rooms are spacious and come with luxury en-suites, and there is luxury furniture to add to the historic atmosphere. A complimentary breakfast is provided every morning.
(Where to stay in Niagara Falls for nightlife!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Fallsview – head up the Skylon Tower for great views of the Falls and the surrounding towns
- BEST place to visit in Fallsview – Fallsview Casino Resort is a major entertainment complex with great nightlife options
Fallsview Boulevard is a little more upmarket than Clifton Hill but well worth the extra expense if you want to enjoy some high quality nightlife in the town! Whilst Clifton Hill has the most popular venues, Fallsview nightlife has a classier atmosphere with innovative cocktails, excellent DJs and a more ambient vibe.
Most hotels in the area also come with views of the falls themselves – a truly unbeatable experience! If you want the excitement of staying in the city centre, but with a bit more of an easy-going vibe than the tourist throngs in Clifton Hill, Fallsview Boulevard is a great compromise between the two.
- Go on the Journey Behind the Falls experience to see the Niagara Falls from beneath – a truly unique experience in the area
- Check out the IMAX Cinema – it comes with both 3D and 4D screenings, giving you the ultimate immersive experience
- Throughout the summer Coco’s becomes a major nightlife venue, with live music performed on the patio every evening
- If you are visiting as a large group or a family, head to Fun Zone to challenge each other at the arcades or paintball courses
- Get over the hangover at Brasa, a fantastic breakfast buffet restaurant that comes with views over the falls
Best Hotel for Backpackers Fallsview
Despite the fancy-sounding name, the Ritz Inn is actually a very budget-friendly choice for backpackers that want to soak up the Fallsview Boulevard atmosphere! As a one star hotel it is fairly basic, but very comfortable and comes with great guest reviews. It’s only a short walk from the main attractions.
Need to see more of Canada? These day trips from Vancouver will show you the coolest areas around.
Best Budget Hotel in Fallsview
If you want a little bit of an upgrade without breaking the bank, Rodeway Inn Fallsview is a great middle of the road option! Rooms come with cable TV, WiFi and coffee making facilities. There is also a small tour desk that offers foreign currency exchange.
Best Luxury Hotel in Fallsview
This luxury apartment is a fantastic five star choice on the boundary between Fallsview and Clifton Hill – perfect for getting around all of the main attractions in both areas! Fully air-conditioned, this two bedroom apartment can sleep up to seven people making it a good option for large groups.
Will you be in Toronto a while? Here’s your guide to the top day trips from Toronto for exploring the area!
(Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for families!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Lundy’s Lane – catch a performance at Oh Canada Eh, a dinner show that is a caricature of the nation
- BEST place to visit in Lundy’s Lane – head to the Niagara Falls History Museum to learn about the city’s past
This small neighborhood in the west of the city is a foodie paradise that is also becoming a retail hotspot in Niagara Falls! With most of the dining options in the city centre catering to tourists, Lundy’s Lane is where the locals go to enjoy some great cuisine in a peaceful setting away from the crowds.
This calm atmosphere makes it the perfect option for families! It is only a short trip on public transport from the main city centre attractions but is the perfect space to relax with the family after a long day of exploring the main attractions.
- Check out the Canada One Outlets where you can pick up bargains on some of Canada’s most premium brands
- Waves Indoor Waterpark is a great spot to take the kids if they are looking to let off some energy and pretend they are in their own waterfall
- Aside from the usual fast food chains, Firehouse Subs is a great spot for a family lunch with hearty sandwiches that will keep you full all day
- Niagara Falls Golf Club, based in Lundy’s Lane, has a full 18 hole course as well as a driving range for you to practice your shots
Best Hotel for Backpackers Lundy’s Lane
Whilst there aren’t any hostels in the area, Falls Manor is a two star hotel that comes with fantastic reviews – perfect for backpacker’s that want to stay in a more authentic part of town! They provide a complimentary American style breakfast every morning, as well as an outdoor pool in the summer.
MUST READ! You’ve got to visit these places in Canada when you’re there!
Best Budget Hotel in Lundy’s Lane
This fantastic Best Western hotel truly showcases why their brand is so well renowned internationally! It comes with a covered pool that is heated and open year-round, as well as a playground area for small kids – ideal for young families visiting the area. There is an Irish pub on-site.
Best Luxury Hotel in Lundy’s Lane
DoubleTree are the family-focussed wing of Hilton, and their Fallsview hotel is the perfect choice for families that are willing to splash out on adding a little more luxury to their stay! With free cookies on check-in and luxury toiletries, DoubleTree truly excels in the little things that make a big impact.
Will you also visit Edmonton? Check out where we like to stay in Edmonton!
(Where to stay in Niagara Falls on a budget!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Chippawa – explore Marineland, an aquarium-cum-amusement park with some fantastic exhibits
- BEST place to visit in Chippawa – visit the original battleground of the 1812 war to learn about the tensions between Britain and the US and their influence on Canada
Chippawa is about ten minutes away from the city centre but is well serviced by public transport and simple road networks. This is one of the most budget-friendly neighborhoods in the otherwise notoriously expensive city! It also comes with some great attractions with a more easy-going vibe.
Chippawa has an independent spirit, with many residents regarding it as a separate city from Niagara Falls. This creates a real community vibe that ensures guests will feel welcome for every second of their stay! Go to Chippawa not just to save cash, but to discover a more authentic side of the city.
- Wander around the beautiful parks surrounding the canal in the centre of the neighborhood – with plenty of interesting architecture to admire
- Head to B Jays Kitchen and Bar for an authentic Canadian meal prepared with heart and served with a smile
- Queen’s Guard Pub is an easy going bar that offers well-priced beers, cocktails and light bites to kick of your night out in Niagara Falls
- Head down to Front Street to check out the locally owned boutiques offering great souvenirs, clothing and home goods
Best Hotel for Backpackers Chippawa
This simple motel is a great example of how far your money can take you in Chippawa compared to the city centre! Whilst it is only a two star hotel, it is beautifully designed and has a peaceful atmosphere. Rooms have basic facilities, including cable TV and coffee making facilities.
Need to save money? Check out the cheapest hostels in Toronto!
Best Budget Hotel in Chippawa
Another two star motel, this one has slightly more facilities that makes it a little more expensive – but it is still very well priced and comes with fantastic guest reviews! They provide a complimentary breakfast buffet every morning and also have high speed WiFi access throughout.
Best Luxury Hotel in Chippawa
This four star bed and breakfast is still cheaper than many other splurge options in the city, but is nevertheless a great option if you want to splurge a little on a luxury accommodation in Chippawa! Rooms come with large en-suites and fresh linens, and a complimentary breakfast is included.
(Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls for couples!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Niagara-on-the-Lake – if you’re visiting during the peak season, take a wine tour for a fun, romantic activity in the town
- BEST place to visit in Niagara-on-the-Lake – Fort George is a reconstruction of a British fort – it’s great for learning about history, and they run regular ghost tours
Located outside of the main town of Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake is a popular destination for those that want to stay close to the falls whilst still avoiding the overly touristy areas right next to the waterfall. This makes it a fantastic choice for couples looking for a romantic getaway close to the natural wonder!
Despite having more of a local feel, Niagara-on-the-Lake still has plenty of fantastic tourist facilities to keep you entertained! Less about big lights and party venues than Niagara Falls, the town has some excellent historical and cultural attractions – and is packed with adventure activities.
- The Ghost Walk of Niagara-on-the-Lake is a great way to learn about the darker parts of the small town’s turbulent history
- Head to the Oban Inn and enjoy their public spa facilities – they can be a bit pricey, but worth it for couples visiting the town
- Zee’s Grill draws inspiration from the trendy restaurants up in Toronto, making it the perfect choice for date night
- Rent a bike from Zoom e-Leisure Bike Rental and take a romantic ride around the coast of the lake and the river
Best Hotel for Backpackers Niagara-on-the-Lake
Despite being a two star bed and breakfast, Via Veneto offers some excellent facilities for visitors on an extreme budget! They provide a gourmet breakfast every morning, helping to prepare you for the day ahead. Rooms are all privates, however, there are some great social spaces on-site.
Going to Toronto? This guide on fun stuff to do in Toronto hits all the highlights!
Best Budget Hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Known for their brand of luxury comfort around the world, Best Western have a fantastic offering in the heart of Niagara-on-the-Lake! Located right in the Old Town area of the town, it is only a short walk away from the lakefront. A complimentary breakfast buffet is arranged every morning, and there is WiFi access throughout.
Best Luxury Hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake
For couples that want to splurge on a romantic getaway close to Niagara Falls, 124 on Queen is the perfect accommodation choice! With a large spa attached, this hotel has more of a resort atmosphere and caters to your every need. Rooms are fitted with modern appliances, and a breakfast basket can be delivered every morning.
Toronto has a strong tour game – check out the best tours in Toronto (for all budgets!) here!
(Best neighborhood in Niagara Falls on the American side!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Downtown – hop on board the Maid of the Mist and get an up close view of the falls themselves
- BEST place to visit in Downtown – visit the beautiful state park region lining the coast of the river
Whilst everyone claims the Canadian side has the best views, the American side of Niagara Falls is a better option for those that want a more natural experience! Surprisingly, this side is much less built-up than the Canadian end, and as a national park, it is well preserved by the federal government.
This makes it a great area for enjoying walks alongside the river, as well as more nature-based activities such as hikes and boat trips! Whilst the Maid of the Mist departs from both sides, the American journey gets you closer to the falls – though admittedly only the American falls.
- Hop on board the Niagara Scenic Trolley for a fast and easy trip around the main attractions in the town and along the river
- The Aquarium of Niagara is much smaller than the larger aquariums in the big cities, but it has some interesting exhibits and a more authentic feel
- The Cave of the Winds is a must-do – even if you choose to stay on the Canadian side, you need to take a trip to the American side for this up-close experience
- Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls offer discount prices on American designer brands, as well as great souvenir shops
- Head along Oliver Street at night – it once held the record for the most bars on one street, and still hosts over 100 of them!
Best Hostel Downtown
Only a short walk from the falls, this guesthouse is perfect for getting around all the main attractions on the American side of the river! There is a large library on-site, as well as a great bar area with regular social events. Complimentary WiFi can be accessed throughout the hostel.
Will you also visit St Johns? Check out where we like to stay in St John’s!
Best Budget Hotel in Downtown
Wyndham Garden is a great hotel for sticking to a tight budget whilst visiting Niagara Falls from the United States! It comes with great facilities including a heated indoor pool and well-equipped fitness suite. A complimentary American style breakfast is provided as part of the rate, and parking facilities are available.
MUST READ! We’ve organized the best places to stay in Quebec City for all types of trips!
Best Luxury Hotel in Downtown
The highest-rated five star hotel on the American side of the falls, Seneca is also a popular casino with visitors to the area! Rooms are well equipped with coffee makers, modern technology and luxury toiletries. There is a large spa facility on-site offering a variety of holistic therapies.
Let’s simplify this! Here are our favorite areas to stay in Prince Edward County!
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Niagara Falls?
It’s no wonder that Niagara Falls is a very touristy city – it is home to a natural wonder and one of the most truly awe-inspiring landmarks in the whole continent! This Canadian resort town is nevertheless still home to some hidden gems waiting to be discovered beyond the falls themselves.
For the best area, we’re going to go with Fallsview Boulevard! Whilst it is still very touristy, it is a bit more relaxed than the main strip on Clifton Hill – giving you the best of both worlds.
That being said, there are plenty of interesting areas in the vicinity waiting to be discovered. We hope this guide helps you plan your trip.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)