Prince Edward County is an interesting destination in Central Ontario! Visitors to the area will discover a unique blend between high-end tourist destinations, rural Canadian culture and sprawling vineyards. With small towns and remote retreats dotted around the area, it is a truly unique part of the country.
As such a sparsely populated region, it can be difficult to figure out where to stay in the area. The best area likely depends on what kind of traveller you are, and it’s important to do some research before arriving.
That’s where we come in! We’ve created this guide to the seven best towns and neighborhoods in Prince Edward County to help you better plan your trip to the area.
So let’s just jump right into it!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Prince Edward County
- Carrying Place – Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for your first time
- Belleville – Where to stay in Prince Edward County close to everything
- East Lake – Where to stay in Prince Edward County for live music
- Wellington – Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for families
- Picton Town – Where to stay in Prince Edward County on a budget
- Hillier – Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for couples
- Waupoos – Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for food
Where to Stay in Prince Edward County
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Prince Edward County.
Best Hotel for Backpackers in Prince Edward County
As the only hostel in the county, the Backcountry Inn & Hostel has to take our top spot for backpacker accommodation in the area! They also have private rooms, and the communal facilities are perfect for those that want to mingle with other guests during their stay in the area.
Best Budget Hotel in Prince Edward County
Located in the Carrying Place area, Timber House Resort is a great choice for people that want to stay close to other parts of Ontario! It comes with a private beach – allowing you to enjoy the beautiful coastal views in peace away from the main tourist routes. They also have a great breakfast selection.
Best Luxury Hotel in Prince Edward County
As the highest-rated luxury accommodation on the peninsula, it’s no wonder Moonlight On The Lake takes our top spot for splurge hotels in the region! It is located on a local vineyard, giving you immediate access to one of the most popular attractions in Prince Edward County.
Prince Edward County 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the seven best neighbourhoods in Prince Edward County. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
(Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for your first time!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Carrying Place – try out some fishing in the surrounding bay with Fish Finder Charters
- BEST place to visit in Carrying Place – walk along the Murray Canal for a relaxing activity in the Canadian countryside
Located on the isthmus that connects Prince Edward County with the rest of Ontario, Carrying Place is a great gateway into the region! It is mostly a laid-back fishing village, giving you a good insight into the local culture and way of life. If you simply want somewhere to kick back and relax, you can’t go wrong with Carrying Place.
Neighboring Trenton, located just outside of Prince Edward County, is also a great area with some interesting attractions for those looking to sample the high life! It keeps you well connected with Canada’s major cities, whilst still providing quick access to the county.
- Take a walk along the course to discover some interesting historical monuments dedicated to Canada’s colonial battles
- Barcovan Golf Club is a great first introduction into the upmarket culture of the county, with a fantastic clubhouse and 18 hole course
- Tabersnack might seem like a fairly unassuming restaurant in the area, but it offers some of the best take-out on the peninsula and has excellent ratings
- Go Active, on the outskirts of Trenton, offer some great packages on outdoor activities – including stand up paddleboarding!
- Head to the Centre Theatre for some local entertainment – including live music and theatrical performances
Best Hotel for Backpackers Carrying Place
There aren’t any hostels in Prince Edward County, but this motel is a good choice for backpackers opting to stay near Carrying Place! It is in nearby Trenton, and whilst pretty basic it comes in at a good price. There is an on-site restaurant with a small games room.
Editor’s Tip: make friends by staying at a cool hostel in Toronto!
Best Budget Hotel in Carrying Place
Located on the beachfront, this is the perfect getaway in the Carrying Place area! They offer a complimentary breakfast every morning that comes with vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options. There is a private beach for guests to use, and bicycle hire facilities at the front desk.
Best Luxury Hotel in Carrying Place
Another excellent accommodation choice located close to Trenton, the Stone Garden Inn is a little more secluded giving you some peace and quiet away from the main towns! This holiday home is well equipped with a large kitchen and private parking. There is also a gorgeous garden attached.
(Where to stay in Prince Edward County close to everything!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Belleville – take a walk around Zwick Centennial Park and admire the views towards Prince Edward County
- BEST place to visit in Belleville – grab some local culture at the Empire Theatre, located on the waterfront
Whilst Belleville isn’t located within Prince Edward County, it is still one of the best places to stay if you want easy access to the entire peninsula! It is connected by bridge to the centre of the county – making it perfect for those visiting by car. It is also well connected to the major cities and towns of Ontario, so great if you are travelling elsewhere.
Belleville is much larger than any of the towns on the peninsula itself, meaning it comes with better tourist facilities – especially those looking for a more typical accommodation choice! There are also some great restaurants and bars in the town.
- Glanmore National Historic Site is a prominent mansion in the city that is open to visitors wanting to discover how the country’s wealthiest once lived
- Belleville Art Association Studio & Gallery has regular public openings where you can buy artwork to support local creatives
- The Duke is the only nightlife venue in the area – it has a reasonable drinks selection, but a fantastic atmosphere nevertheless
- Boretski Gallery offer vintage clothing, accessories and homewares from across Canada in one well-curated collection
- Despite being a relatively small town, Belleville has its fair share of excellent international restaurants – we suggest Toro Sushi and Chilangos Mexican
Best Hotel for Backpackers Belleville
Despite only being a two star hotel, the Holiday Inn Express comes with fantastic facilities – including an indoor pool and an extensive fitness suite! A complimentary hot breakfast is also included every morning. It is well priced – perfect for backpackers that are a little strapped for cash.
Best Budget Hotel in Belleville
For a bit more of an upgrade, but still well priced, stay at the Country Inn & Suites by Radisson! Rooms are fully air conditioned and come with modern conveniences – including coffee making machines. An American style buffet breakfast is provided every morning, and there is a small fitness suite on-site.
Need to see more of Canada? These day trips from Vancouver will show you the coolest areas around.
Best Luxury Hotel in Belleville
The four star Montrose Inn is like a time capsule of Ontario’s past! The rooms are decorated in a traditional style with exposed floorboards and quaint wallpaper. A full English breakfast is provided every morning, and high speed WiFi can be accessed throughout the property. There is also a terrace.
(Where to stay in Prince Edward County for live music!)
- COOLEST thing to do in East Lake – dance the night away at The Hayloft Dance Hall – Prince Edward County’s most vibrant live music venue
- BEST place to visit in East Lake – head to Salmon Point beach for secluded views across Lake Ontario
If you want a typical nightlife experience then you should stick to Toronto – but if you want to enjoy a local live music venue, then you should head to East Lake in Prince Edward County! This is where Hayloft Dance Hall is located. The most popular venue in the whole county, it has a roster of live acts and a jubilant atmosphere.
Aside from the dance hall, East Lake is a sleepy part of the island with only a few small villages dotted along the coast! This makes it a great place to recover from a long night of dancing with locals. Inhale the sea breeze, enjoy a locally produced coffee and unwind along the banks of Lake Ontario.
- Log Cabin Point, close to Salmon Point, is a great provider of outdoor activities including fishing hire and kayaking
- Enjoy a game of mini golf at CaddyShack – they have a great selection of courses that are perfect for families visiting the area
- Stowaway Vintage are based at the head of the lake – this locally owned boutique specialises in vintage clothing and homewares
- On the other side of East Lake, you will find Mad Dog Gallery – offering some great portraits by local artists
- For something to eat you have to check out Currah’s Park Store and Grill for some authentic Canadian maritime cuisine
Best Hotel for Backpackers East Lake
This two star resort is actually on West Lake, however, that is only a two minute drive away from East Lake and all the main attractions of the region! They offer fully serviced holiday homes and caravans right on the coast, with picnic and barbecue facilities included. There is also free WiFi throughout the resort.
Best Budget Hotel in East Lake
This resort comes with its own private beach – giving you a secluded spot away from the other tourists to enjoy the beautiful coastline! They also have tennis courts and a fitness centre on-site, as well as fishing equipment. A buffet breakfast is included as part of the rate.
Will you be in Toronto a while? Here’s your guide to the top day trips from Toronto for exploring the area!
Best Luxury Hotel in East Lake
This gorgeous bed and breakfast boasts excellent reviews thanks to their high service standards and great facilities! It comes with a large sun terrace where you can enjoy the calm atmosphere during the summer, and a full English breakfast is provided every morning. They also provide complimentary WiFi.
(Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for families!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Wellington – relax on Wellington Rotary Beach and enjoy magnificent views across the bay
- BEST place to visit in Wellington – the unGallery is an interesting art space dedicated to quirky and provocative creatives
Wellington is a major residential village on the peninsula, making it a great place to discover a more authentic side of the county! For families, Wellington is calm enough to ensure you have a relaxing stay, but lively enough to keep everyone entertained – even the most irritable of children.
Despite being a residential area most of the year, it does become a bit busier with tourists during the peak summer months. This means it has plenty of interesting attractions about the region’s culture and history – as well as some delectable restaurant offerings!
- Armstrongs Glassworks are a full-sized glass manufacturer on the outskirts of Wellington offering some beautiful glass ornaments
- Head to Wellington on the Lake Golf Course to enjoy their full 18 hole course and their well-stocked clubhouse
- Ideal Bike Wellington are a great little bicycle hire service right in the heart of the town – a great way to explore the island!
- Wellington Heritage Museum is dedicated to the history of the town, with some interesting exhibits featuring the belongings of former and current residents
- Drake Devonshire is more than just a hotel – they have a restaurant that’s open to the public and has the best views in town!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Wellington
As mentioned above, Drake Devonshire is an attraction in its own right – hosting one of the best restaurants in town! For backpackers, this inn offers a little bit of an upgrade compared to other options in the county – but is well worth the extra cash. They offer free bike rental.
MUST READ! You’ve got to visit these places in Canada when you’re there!
Best Budget Hotel in Wellington
Located right on Wellington Main Street, this B&B is not only ideally placed for discovering the town’s attractions – it also rewards guests with beautiful views over the lake! An American style breakfast is included – and there is also free high speed WiFi and private parking. Rooms are fully air conditioned.
Best Luxury Hotel in Wellington
This quaint boutique guest house is by far the best splurge choice in Wellington! Rooms are decorated in a classic style, whilst still incorporating modern conveniences such as iPod docking stations. There is a cosy seating area where you can mingle with other guests or make use of the large library.
Will you also visit Edmonton? Check out where we like to stay in Edmonton!
(Where to stay in Prince Edward County on a budget!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Picton Town – take a hike through the Macaulay Mountain Conservation Area – head to the tourism centre for a map
- BEST place to visit in Picton Town – The Regent Theatre is the largest and most popular theatre on the peninsula itself
Though very much a small town, Picton Town retains an urban vibe thanks to it being considered the county’s capital! This makes it a culturally exciting destination on the peninsula, with plenty of interesting creative and educational attractions throughout the town.
Prince Edward County, as a whole, is not a budget-friendly destination – but staying in Picton Town should ease up the financial strain! The shops and restaurants here are busier, but also far cheaper than the more sedate outlets in the smaller towns and villages. There are also some interesting bars dotted around the streets.
- Diamond J Ranch is a working farm in the town that regularly opens to the public – discover Canadian rural culture by checking them out
- Prince Eddy’s Brewing Company is the county’s craft brewery – they have a fantastic bar that is unparalleled on the peninsula
- Little Bluff Conservation Area is located at the coast of Picton Town and has great views across the bluffs
- Arts on Main Gallery, located on Main Street, showcases local artists from across Prince Edward County
- Visiting with the family? Head straight to Cones & Shakes for the best ice cream in the area
Best Hotel for Backpackers Picton Town
Though a fairly basic inn, the Queen’s Inn is the perfect choice for backpackers that want to experience a small slice of Prince Edward County’s high life! It is right in the heart of Picton Town, allowing you easy access to the main attractions in the area. Rooms come with cable TV and WiFi.
Need to save money? Check out the cheapest hostels in Toronto!
Best Budget Hotel in Picton Town
This holiday home is perfect for families and larger groups looking for somewhere cheap to stay in the heart of the county! They offer three separate holiday home choices – one of which sleeps up to six adults. All units come with well-equipped kitchens, barbecue facilities and free private parking.
Best Luxury Hotel in Picton Town
For a little taste of luxury, but in a more typical hotel setting, this bed and breakfast is the perfect choice in central Picton Town! Housed within a converted courthouse, this accommodation is a little piece of Picton history. A continental breakfast is provided as part of the rate, and private parking is available.
(Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for couples!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Hillier – explore the abundance of vineyards available across the Hillier region
- BEST place to visit in Hillier – visit the historic town hall right in the heart of the hamlet of Hillier
Whilst Hillier is officially a small hamlet, for the purposes of this guide we are going to include the surrounding area. This is the best area to check out the famous vineyards that bring visitors to the county every year! This is a particularly popular attraction for couples, making Hillier the best choice for a romantic getaway.
Whilst vineyards are the only real attraction in the area, Wellington is situated right next to the area and access to the major towns of Central Ontario is easy! This makes it a great base for exploring the rest of the island at an easy-going pace before continuing elsewhere in Canada.
- Stanners Vineyard is the closest to the hamlet itself – they offer grape picking experiences as well as an introduction to winemaking
- If you’re more interested in the history of wine production in the region, the Traynor Family Vineyard is a great introduction
- Strato’s Pizzeria & Restaurant is by far the most popular restaurant in the area – they offer great Italian food on the coast
- Take a break from the wine and head to Settlers Cider – they’re currently the only cider producers in the Hillier area
- La Pergola Restaurant is another fantastic Italian dining option, and their offerings are very budget-friendly!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Hillier
Located in Consecon, Runaway Bay Guesthouse is at the far north of the Hillier region – giving you some peace and quiet away from the main tourist trail! Rooms are basic, but well facilitated with cable TV and premium en-suite bathrooms. A continental breakfast is provided, which comes with vegetarian choices.
Going to Toronto? This guide on fun stuff to do in Toronto hits all the highlights!
Best Budget Hotel in Hillier
For couples visiting Hillier, a holiday home can be the perfect choice for the ultimate romantic retreat! This gorgeous house is right in the heart of the area, giving you quick access to most of the vineyards. It comes with a well-equipped kitchen, and high speed WiFi has been installed.
Best Luxury Hotel in Hillier
This gorgeous four star bed and breakfast is located right on the grounds of a vineyard, meaning you won’t have far to travel at all to discover the highlights of Hillier! A continental breakfast is included and comes with both vegetarian and gluten-free choices. There is also a library on-site.
Toronto has a strong tour game – check out the best tours in Toronto (for all budgets!) here!
(Best neighborhood in Prince Edward County for food!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Waupoos – take a trip out onto Lake Ontario with County Sailing Company
- BEST place to visit in Waupoos – try some of the best cheese in the country at the County Cheese Company
Waupoos is a large peninsula in the southwest of the county. This is where you can sample some of the best cheese, cider and other culinary delights in the entire region! Whilst most of the modern-day wineries are based in Hillier, Waupoos is the historic birthplace for wine cultivation in the county and has some interesting vineyards of its own.
The town of Waupoos itself is rather small, giving you a warm and welcoming vibe throughout your stay! The beautiful coastal region has some fantastic views across Lake Ontario and even as far as the United States on a clear day.
- Every May the area comes alive with the Apple Blossom Festival – head to the various markets and enjoy some delicious farm-fresh treats
- Fifth Town Artisan Cheese is another delicious cheese producer right in the heart of Waupoos
- Devil’s Wishbone Winery is one of the oldest wine producers in the county – check it out to learn about where it all began
- The Waupoos Pub Market and Eatery is the main bar and restaurant in the town itself and a great place to sample local produce
- Peruse the walls and shelves of Joel Clark Fine Arts to discover their vast collection of Canadian works
Best Hotel for Backpackers Waupoos
Despite only being two stars, this vast resort comes with some fantastic facilities – ensuring your money will go a little further! Though they are the only hostel in the county, they also offer private rooms at a great price for those that want their own space. There is a fitness centre on-site.
Ready to book? We’ve put together our favorite places to stay in St John’s so you don’t have to stress!
Best Budget Hotel in Waupoos
This four bedroom holiday home – which sleeps up to eight adults – is another fantastic option for larger groups that want to save a little cash! It comes with magnificent views across the lake and is the closest accommodation option to the town of Waupoos. There is a large sun terrace.
Best Luxury Hotel in Waupoos
If you want to avoid the throngs of families that visit the region, this bed and breakfast is for adults only – perfect for couples and groups of friends visiting the region! They offer a full English breakfast every morning, and the childfree environment ensures a peaceful atmosphere all day and night.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Prince Edward County?
Whilst Prince Edward County is still a somewhat up-and-coming destination for international visitors, it is a great place to discover authentic Canadian rural culture! It also comes with some great vineyards, culinary attractions and of course scenery.
For the best area, we’re going to go with Wellington! Whether you want magnificent views, access to the upscale attractions or an insight into the local culture, Wellington manages to combine all of the best aspects of the county into one town.
That being said, all of the areas mentioned on this list have their own benefits – and ultimately are only a short drive away from each other. We hope we have helped you to plan your upcoming trip to this beautiful region.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)