Windsor is a small town to the west of London that is best known for Windsor Castle – a centuries-old palace that has housed royal weddings and is often visited by the Queen herself! The surrounding areas are also popular with tourists, including the college town of Eton and Legoland Windsor.
As it is quite a small town, finding the perfect place to stay can be a little tricky – especially if you have particular needs. A great way to overcome this is to consider the surrounding towns and villages.
That’s where we come in! We’ve created this guide to the best places to stay in the Windsor area depending on what kind of itinerary you are looking for.
So without further ado, let’s get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Windsor
- Central Windsor – Best neighborhood in Windsor for your first time
- Eton – Where to stay near Windsor close to everything
- Legoland Area – Best neighborhood near Windsor for families
- Wraysbury – Best neighborhood near Windsor for couples
- Old Windsor – Where to stay near Windsor for traditional culture
Where to Stay in Windsor
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Windsor.
Best Budget Hotel in Windsor
Budget accommodation is hard to come by in Windsor, but the Royal Adelaide provide a great service at reasonable prices. The historic building is an attraction in itself as it was originally built for Queen Adelaide. It is also only a short walk away from Windsor Castle!
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Windsor
Located in Old Windsor, this hotel offers you more of a community feel in a traditional English village. It is conveniently attached to a Toby Carvery, allowing you to enjoy local cuisine at reasonable prices. They also offer free parking!
Best Luxury Hotel in Windsor
As the only five star B&B in the area, Gilbey’s has to take the crown for best splurge hotel! It is conveniently located in Eton on the riverfront, giving you access to neighbouring Windsor. The on-site restaurant offers typical British cuisine and even has some great vegan options.
Windsor Area 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Windsor. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
(Best neighbourhood in Windsor for your first time!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Windsor – take a cruise down the Thames with French Brothers Boat Tour and take in the local sights
- BEST place to visit in Windsor – no trip to Windsor is complete without a visit to Windsor Castle and the surrounding gardens!
Most of the tourist appeal of the area is centred within Windsor itself. By far the most popular landmark is Windsor Castle. This beautiful palace was built in the 11th Century, making it the oldest occupied castle in the world. If you want to take a tour of the castle, be sure to visit when the Queen is not in residence! This information can be found on their website.
The town of Windsor itself has a quaint, small-town England atmosphere to it that makes it an attraction in its own right. Ancient buildings line the streets and are steeped in British history and culture.
- If you’re not taking a tour inside Windsor Castle, you should still visit the Victoria Barracks and witness the changing of the guard
- Catch a horse racing game and place a bet or two at the Royal Windsor Racecourse
- Sample some typical British pub grub with marvellous views over the Thames at Browns Restaurant & Bar
- Sample local pints, mingle with the locals and enjoy the ambient atmosphere at the Bexley Arms
- Take a relaxing stroll along Alexandra Park on the banks of the Thames and take the kids to the small amusement park at the western edge
Best Budget Hotel in Windsor
The Royal Adelaide Hotel is housed in a historic building initially built for Queen Adelaide herself in the early 1800s. There is a large communal lounge and bar area where you can socialise with other guests, and an on-site brasserie offering high-quality cuisine. They provide a Full English breakfast every morning!
Recommended Article – If you are staying in London, you should check out our post about the most AMAZING hostels in London!
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Windsor
This four-star B&B offers great service and has free high-speed WiFi throughout – perfect if you need to keep connected! They offer Full English and vegetarian breakfasts each morning and are based within short walking distance from Windsor Castle. Rooms are equipped with a fridge and kettle.
Best Luxury Hotel in Windsor
Hampden Apartments offer a series of five-star luxury accommodations across Windsor, and the Catherine is their best rated! It has two bedrooms and a sofa bed, meaning it can sleep up to six people – perfect for families and larger parties. There is a well-equipped kitchen in the apartment, as well as a bathroom with complimentary toiletries.
P.S. – These are the top areas to stay in Leeds, England!
(Where to stay near Windsor close to everything!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Eton – take a kayak trip down the Thames with London Kayak Tours, based on the riverfront
- BEST place to visit in Eton – visit Eton College during the summer months to discover the school that has taught many prominent British establishment figures
Eton is located just north of Windsor on the other side of the river and is often regarded as part of the same town. Eton is not only well connected to the Windsor area, but also gives visitors access to Slough where you can connect to London, Birmingham and many other major British cities and towns!
In terms of architecture and scenery, Eton has a very similar offering to neighbouring Windsor with ancient buildings and quaint restaurants. Much of the action is focused along the high street which connects to Windsor high street! Even if you’re staying elsewhere, Eton is well worth a day trip.
- Visit Eton College Natural History Museum year round to discover a vast collection of artifacts about the natural world
- Take a relaxing stroll through the Brocas – a public park offering great views across the town, as well as picnic and dog walking facilities
- Pick up some continental produce and mingle with locals at Eton’s French Market, just off the high street
- Discover local and international photographers with connections to the area at Rhubarb and Custard Photo Gallery – and pick up a piece to take home!
- Sample some beautiful local confectionery at Eton Fudge Shop
Best Budget Hotel in Eton
This hotel doubles up as a popular restaurant for locals and visitors to Eton! Each room has fully fitted bathrooms with luxury toiletries and a work area. Free parking is available for guests with a car, as well as high-speed internet access. They offer a Full English breakfast every morning and coffee making facilities are in every room.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Eton
Like most other hotels in the area, Sir Christopher Wren Hotel is situated in a heritage building! It is located right on the riverside, with many rooms offering spectacular views of both Eton and Windsor. There is a large gym with yoga and rest areas, as well as a spa offering sauna facilities and bathing rooms.
Editor’s Note – If you are going to stay in Stansted, you should check out our article about the hostels near Stansted airport.
Best Luxury Hotel in Eton
Gilbey’s is the only five star B&B in the area and offers next level guest service! The on-site restaurant offers typical British fare as well as some great vegan options. Rooms are well equipped, and they even offer some suites with kitchenettes. The large marble bathrooms add a touch of luxury, and toiletries are provided.
(Best neighbourhood near Windsor for families!)
- COOLEST thing to do near Legoland – learn to play polo and embed yourself with aristocratic British culture at La Brava Polo
- BEST place to visit near Legoland – of course, the best option is Legoland itself, with plenty of thrill rides and family activities
Legoland is another popular attraction for visitors to the Windsor area! The large theme park is inspired by the Lego franchise, with monuments built entirely out of the world-famous toy bricks. It also offers some excellent thrill rides, smaller amusements for young kids and high-quality restaurants.
The park itself is surrounded by small villages that have a quintessentially British atmosphere. Like Windsor and Eton, they offer traditional pubs and ancient architecture. They’re a smaller size, however, gives more of a community feel and is much more relaxed than the tourist hubs in the main towns.
- Head to the Lakeview Cafe in Cranbourne for excellent local cuisine with views over the surrounding scenery
- Witness a functioning farm and learn about how chickens are raised, as well as how eggs are collected, at Willow Court Farm & Poultry
- Visit Dedworth for a typical English village experience with quaint old buildings and community-based pubs
- Whilst in Dedworth, visit Mostly Boxes Antiques where you can pick up a bargain on antique clothing, furniture and bric-a-brac
- Discover the migrant communities from Asia in Clewer Green, with plenty of excellent restaurants abound – we suggest Ghurka Royale!
Travel can be expensive! But then again, London’s cheap hostels will show you how little it can cost!
Best Budget Hotel near Legoland
This hotel is located within walking distance of Ascot and close to Legoland! The room’s come fully equipped with quality ensuites and coffee making facilities. This hotel is particularly popular with golfers thanks to the many golf courses available in close proximity. A continental style buffet breakfast is provided.
Recommended article! Also – if you’ll be in this area, you HAVE to check out our article about some of the other best day trips from London
Best Mid-Range Hotel near Legoland
This gorgeous hotel will give you the quintessential English village experience! Surrounded by beautiful countryside, the rooms have high ceilings and exposed beams giving it a traditional atmosphere. The on-site restaurant has fireplaces, candles and an easy-going vibe that make it a cosy place to enjoy the complimentary breakfast.
Best Luxury Hotel near Legoland
The Oakley Court is situated in a luxurious manor with elegant decor and excellent facilities! They have an indoor swimming pool on-site that can be used year round, as well as an award-winning restaurant that provides a complimentary breakfast each morning. There are also great recreational facilities such as a golf course and tennis courts.
P.S. – These are the wildest and craziest party hostels in all of London
(Best neighbourhood near Windsor for couples!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Wraysbury – enjoy the watersports and river slides at Liquid Leisure – the largest aqua park in Europe
- BEST place to visit in Wraysbury – walk along Welley Road in Wraysbury to discover quaint boutiques and innovative restaurants
Located between Windsor and London, Wraysbury is a small village surrounded by reservoirs and lakes! The village itself offers a calm setting with traditional buildings and quirky retail outlets. There are also plenty of restaurants offering typical British cuisine and high-quality food inspired from abroad.
The surrounding area also offers more interesting villages, and is the perfect relaxing getaway for couples visiting the region. Its proximity to Heathrow Airport makes it a popular stopover for visitors looking to explore the South of England. There are also some great water sports and adventure activities in the area.
- Head to Wraysbury Dive Centre to hire diving equipment and even take a short course if you are new to the activity
- The Perseverance Restaurant & Pub is a popular location for locals and visitors alike offering traditional cuisine produced with local ingredients
- Take a walk around the Wraysbury Reservoir area to get up close to local nature and enjoy a spot of bird watching
- Head to Imagine Spa in nearby Poyle – they offer a wide range of holistic and spa therapies and are well rated by previous guests
- Want a calm night out in the area? There are some great bars in Staines as well as a popular comedy club
Best Budget Hotel in Wraysbury
This three star B&B is very well priced but still offers great service! It is popular with passengers from Heathrow Airport thanks to its close proximity and transfer service. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning, and the kitchen is open for use by all guests – perfect if you are saving further by self-catering.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Wraysbury
This is another great hotel with connections to Heathrow Terminal 5! There is a small gym on-site with basic equipment, and high-speed WiFi is available throughout the property. The on-site restaurant and bar is open all day, as well as a small Starbucks within the hotel. There is a 24-hour business centre.
Best Luxury Hotel in Wraysbury
Situated on the boundary with the historic Runnymede area, this hotel offers marvellous views across the Thames as well as private boat hire! An indoor pool, spa and fitness centre are all available for guests to use. There are also tennis courts, and a restaurant offering complimentary breakfast.
(Where to stay near Windsor for traditional culture!)
- COOLEST thing to do in Old Windsor – hire an ascot carriage in Windsor Great Park
- BEST place to visit in Old Windsor – visit the historic Runnymede area to learn about the Magna Carta
Old Windsor is a small village just south of Windsor and close to Wraysbury. As the name suggests, the architecture here is even older than the buildings in Windsor, taking you back in time to medieval England. Despite having a somewhat secluded feel, Old Windsor is well connected with Windsor and London!
It also neighbours Runnymede – an important historical site where the Magna Carta was signed! There are plenty of interesting monuments and attractions in the area, and it has a somewhat off-the-beaten-path feel compared to other towns close to Windsor.
- Take an art class in a variety of mediums at Hands On Art Adventures – they offer classes for both adults and kids
- Head down to the Spa at Runnymede for some delightful spa and holistic therapies – very popular with visitors from London
- Book a private boat tour of the Windsor area from Kris Cruisers in neighbouring Datchet
- Visit Frogmore House – this Royal Estate is only open to the public on a few dates per year and contains Queen Victoria’s mausoleum
- Pick up fresh produce, or enjoy a freshly prepared meal, at the Windsor Farm Shop in the north of Old Windsor
Best Budget Hotel in Old Windsor
This large B&B is very well rated by previous guests and is particularly popular with couples! If you’re on a strict budget you can opt for rooms with shared bathrooms, whilst there are rooms with large bathroom suites available if you’re happy to spend a little more. They provide a complimentary breakfast and high-speed WiFi.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Old Windsor
Innkeeper’s Lodge is attached to the local Toby’s Carvery – a British institution known for their roast dinners! This allows you to mingle with the locals as well as other guests whilst enjoying a traditional English meal. Rooms come with flat screen TVs, tea and coffee facilities and basic ensuites.
Further Reading – These are the best hostels near the London Gatwick Airport
Best Luxury Hotel in Old Windsor
De Vere are known across the country for their high-quality country estate hotels, and this is one of their original offerings! Located in an 18th-century manor, the hotel has been updated to include excellent modern facilities. The gardens are incredibly scenic with fountains, ponds and locally produced sculptures.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Windsor?
Windsor is a very popular destination for visitors to England who are hoping to learn more about the nation’s history, as well as the lasting influence of the Royal Family! The surrounding towns and villages also have their own charm and plenty to offer.
For the best area, we, of course, have to go with Windsor itself. It is well connected to everywhere else mentioned in this guide, and also has regular links to London. Windsor Castle is by far the most popular attraction in the area!
We hope this guide has helped you to plan your itinerary for your upcoming trip to the Windsor area.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments.
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out the form below to get a quote.
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)